What is Living Waters?
Listen to this Testimonial Video About Living Waters:
Living Waters* is an in-depth, Christ-centered program for people seeking healing in areas of sexual and relational brokenness. A healing, teaching and discipleship series, Living Waters addresses the reality that we are all broken in our ability to love others well. The goal of Living Waters is to lay a foundation for sexual and relational wholeness in our lives.
Through the worship, teaching, prayer, and small groups of Living Waters we learn about:
- God's powerful love for us and how Jesus is central to our hope for wholeness
- The depth of our brokenness and our profound need for Him
- The power of the Cross to restore our souls, sexuality, and relationships
- The process of walking out our healing
- Our place in the church and loving others honorably
On This Page
- The DNA of Living Waters
- Who is Living Waters for?
- Living Waters Chapters
- When We Meet
- Commitment Requirements
- Program Cost
- How Do I Participate?
- Application Form
The DNA of Living Waters
Living Waters is a 20-lesson program taught in a closed group format. The leaders have been trained and a confidentiality policy is in place to help ensure trust and safety in the group. Each meeting includes:
WORSHIP - We focus our attention and praise on God rather than on our problems.
THE WORD - Living Waters teachings combine biblical truth and psychological concepts that help us to know God and ourselves better.
THE WORKS OF JESUS - Through healing prayer in large and small group settings, we invite the Holy Spirit to heal our various wounds. We bring our sins, and those committed against us, to the Lord who is faithful to set us free.
Foundational to Living Waters is the reality that God created us in His image as male and female. Therefore we value men and women working out their healing together. Great healing comes as men and women minister and receive alongside one another, thereby reflecting God's intention and character. (Although small groups are single-sex, both genders participate together in worship, teaching, and prayer in the large group.) Living Waters uses a detailed guidebook that includes teachings, questions and additional readings that help us move from brokenness to maturity.
Who is Living Waters for?
Living Waters applies to everyone, but is particularly relevant to those struggling with homosexuality, sexual promiscuity or addiction, the effects of sexual abuse, codependency, self-hatred, or the inability to love others well. Thankfully, Christ's capacity to touch and restore us at deep levels of shame and brokenness extends to all of us, regardless of the specifics of our issue.
Is Living Waters for me?
If the following statements describe your heart for hope and healing, you may want to consider participating in Living Waters:
- A desire to deepen your relationship with Christ in a more personal, devoted way.
- A desire to grow in your identity as a man or woman of God, allowing Him to reveal the good of your sexuality.
- A willingness to face the sinfulness of your present state and the painful realities of where you are and what brought you to where you are now. This program is designed to help deal with all the broken and hurtful relationships of your life.
- A willingness and a need to be open and honest in a godly environment with others about your emotions, sexual feelings and practices and how you feel about your sexual identity.
- A willingness to receive the healing ministry of the Holy Spirit in all areas of your life, especially in the area of your relationships and your sexuality.
- A desire to walk free from all sexual and relational bondage and to find true fulfillment in a loving relationship with Jesus Christ and His community and His desire for you to have holy relationships.
- A commitment to God the Father, the Lord Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit and to the other members of the group. This commitment is to continue through the entire program.
What will I learn?
Some topics addressed include:
- Acknowledging our need for God
- How "the fall" affects our sexuality and relationships
- Receiving the Father's love
- Who we are as men and women
- The cross and confession
- Renouncing our idols
- Reconciliation between men and women
- Roots of gender brokenness
- Healing from sexual abuse
- Restoring the true self through the cross
- Understanding and overcoming temptation
- Overcoming sexual addiction
- Embracing the church as our healing community
- Building healthy relationships
- Walking as mature Christians
LIVING WATERS: Restoring Relational Integrity through the Broken Body of Christ
- Introduction to Living Waters
- Acknowledging Our Need
- Becoming Responsive to the Father's Love
- The Fighting Father
- Gender Matters: Revealing Christ through the Gift of Our Bodies
- The Cross: Confession and Repentance
- Renouncing Idols
- Overcoming Addiction through the Real Meal
- Healing Power of Pain: How Wounds Make us More Whole
- Identifying Brokenness, Resuming the Journey
- Restoring Broken Boundaries
- The True Self Forgives
- The True Self Aspires to Wholeness, Refuses Despair
- The True Self Unites with God in Weakness and Overcomes Narcissism
- The True Self Loves His/Her Own Gender
- Offering the Gift
- Restoring Woman's Honor
- Restoring Man's Honor
- For the Bride
- Hope and Wholeness
When We Meet
The 2017-2018 program will begin October 12 and conclude by the end of May 2018 (depending on weather conditions). Living Waters will meet on Thursday nights from 7-10pm. We ask everyone to arrive by 6:50pm each group night.
The program is at least 20+ weeks in length, with holiday breaks additionally provided. On the application, you will be asked if you can commit to coming to each and every meeting, unless an emergency/sickness keeps you unable to attend.
In the case of an absence, audio recordings of teachings will be made available via a custom Dropbox link each program year. If you prefer, a CD can be ordered at a cost of $3 per teaching.
Homework is a large part of the program and it will be up to the participant to complete each week's assignment. There are also 2 small group fun nights, one in the Fall and one in the Spring, that are planned by the small group facilitator.
What is the cost of this program?
The cost is $300.00 for new participants, and $150.00 for returning alumni (plus the cost of new required materials*). There is no refund of the cost of the program once the program has begun as your place cannot be filled being this is a closed group. At your interview, you will be asked to pay for the cost of the required reading material, which hasn't been determined yet. This cost will be refunded if you aren't accepted into the program.
Requests for either a payment plan or scholarships must be in writing with a thorough explanation for the request. Prior to asking First Stone Ministries for a scholarship, we ask that you inquire family/loved ones or your home church. We do want to be able to give scholarships to as many as possible, but we will be limited to the number that we can give out. Payments can be in any amount and any interval so long as the balance is paid in full by the end of the program. We offer auto-payment via banking or credit card accounts; forms will be made available. Scholarships are available on a case by case review. We want all those that need the program to attend regardless of funds available.
What does the cost cover? And what are other costs to expect?
This includes the cost of the Living Waters workbook as well as other books by Andrew Comiskey and Lori Rentzel's booklet Emotional Dependency. A closing banquet will be provided at the end of the program. Offerings are taken weekly to give participants the opportunity to bless First Stone Ministries' general fund. Participants will be asked to provide snacks on a rotation basis.
*Sixty dollars extra payment for alumni only includes $50 for the new guidebook and $10 each for Naked Surrender, Pursuing Sexual Wholeness and Strength in Weakness all by Andrew Comiskey.
How do I participate?
Living Waters requires an application!
A PDF application is available below or you may write, call, or email us for an application to be mailed to you. There are a limited number of slots available so please apply as soon as possible.
Personal Interview upon receipt and review of your application.
Once we have received your application, someone from FSM will contact you to schedule an interview to go over your application and get to know you and your needs. We also want to give you an opportunity to ask any questions that you may have of us about the program and what you can expect from the program and of us as the leadership.
How do I know if I have been accepted?
You will be sent an email by one of the program coordinators informing you of your acceptance and further instruction. If you have not heard from the coordinator, please contact FSM.
We believe prayer covering makes a huge difference in each person’s receptivity to what God wants to do in him or her. If you are accepted into the program, we strongly encourage you to ask one or two trustworthy friends to pray for you weekly while you are in this program. You may refer your intercessor to the following PDF Prayer Guide.
To apply for Living Waters, you may do the following:
- Fill out and submit our Support Group Application.**
- You may also print out an application and mail or fax it to First Stone Ministries.
Living Waters brochures are available upon request for your use or to pass to a friend or loved one.
*Living Waters is a program of Desert Stream Ministries of Grandview, Missouri. First Stone Ministries is an authorized and trained provider of the Living Waters program.
**Adobe Reader required.